USD 394 COVID Test Update
In light of the new guidance received today (January 18, 2022) from the Kansas Department of Health and Environment and the Kansas State Department of Education and the lack of available test kits, we will be suspending our current test to stay practices. Also, any students who have been notified for testing will no longer need to test.
We are asking parents to please monitor your children for signs of illness and keep those children who are showing symptoms home. There is always a chance of widespread transmission of virus for those in public spaces. You should watch for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 disease for 10 days after exposure, especially in those who are not considered immune.
Expectations for all parents:
• Regularly monitor your children for symptoms of COVID-19 disease.
• If your child is symptomatic, have your child tested with a diagnostic test if available.
• Do not send your child to school if they are sick or if they test positive.
~Everyone who tests positive for COVID-19 disease should stay home for at least 5 days and be fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever reducing medication before leaving home (minimum 5-day home isolation). After that, they may resume normal activities but should wear a well-fitting mask around others, indoors and outdoors, for an additional 5 days. We have some charts explaining this on our website.
• Notify your school if your child tests positive.
Expectations for parents of potentially exposed children:
• Consider keeping your child home for 5 days after the exposure (minimum 5-day home quarantine). After that, they may resume normal activities but should wear a well-fitting mask around others, indoors and outdoors, for an additional 5 days.
~If a child cannot or will not wear a mask, consider keeping your child home for 10 days after the exposure.
• Have your child wear a well-fitting mask while around others, indoors and outdoors, for 10 full days after the exposure.
• Monitor your child for symptoms of COVID-19 disease for 10 days after the exposure. Have your child tested 5 days after exposure or immediately if they become symptomatic.
• If your child is exposed to COVID-19 disease outside of school, please notify the school.
Students who are sick with non-COVID illnesses should stay home from school until they have been fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication. Students with a confirmed COVID test should stay home for five days and then may return to school when they are symptom free and will be required to wear a mask through day 10. Positive students will only be allowed to participate in sports and activities if a mask can be worn throughout the entire activity.
KDHE recommends that everyone wear a well-fitted mask daily, indoors and outdoors when around others. At this time, masks are highly recommended, but not mandated in our district, except for those who have tested positive for COVID-19. Those individuals will be required to wear a mask through day 10.
As per KDHE guidance, this plan will be reassessed in 30 days. Any changes to this plan will be communicated with our families at that time.